Saturday, January 31, 2009

Stephen Holmes admits stealing from Wyndham owners

You know what? When I started composing this blog a few weeks ago, I had all intentions of just sort of monitoring what Wyndham owners were doing and keeping everyone updated about it.

As a result of that, I have spent a lot of "surf time" trying to research what this company has done. It is insane just how many complaints there have been over the years. It seems that Fairfield was a great company and that the company that bought them in 2002, Cendant, started off on very rocky roads right from the start (they've got former executives in jail today!). But, Cendant fought to regain their balance for many years as they tried to keep their integrity among customers (and owners in the timeshare sector). When they had done a reasonable job of this, they split. Of course, shortly after that, they did the bogus name-change switcheroo with the purchase of the Wyndham-name (and just about nothing else). This was a pretty successful move for Cendant. In fact, as I search around, the only real losers have been the timeshare owners. Other brands seem to be doing well.

A friend of mine approached me recently about bidding on a very large townhouse renovation project north of Miami. He has a contractor's license and I can do just about any type of carpentry. This would be a perfect job for a couple of old retired farts, so we drove down to Miami this morning to put in a statement of work and bid. During the drive, I tried to sleep (no, I wasn't driving), but my friend (let's call him Steve, because that is REALLY his name), asked me how things were going with that "crooked timeshare company" I was having problems with? Steve is the FIRST human being that I've confessed to so far that I had started this blog. I explained what I've done so far. He told me to quit being a $@*&$%#! and take some real action. I laughed it off.

He dropped me off about an hour ago. I kissed my wife and turned on the computer. Those words kept ringing in my ears. I’ve known Steve for over 20 years and he actually called me a $@*&$%#!. I simply couldn't believe it. I knew I needed to take more action.

So, I will stop these silly passive actions. I'm going to press the envelope a little bit. Since this company was happy enough to take my hard-earned money, then (after Cendant bought them) started screwing me and all the owners, so I thought maybe it was time I fought back a bit more than I have so far. I don't have any money to file a lawsuit and I'm not smart enough to write a letter (I didn't even finish school and have nobody who can help me spell things correctly to keep me from looking like a fool). So, what non-passive action can I take as my little part to "fight back". So, my new contribution will be to get my hands dirty and try to expose Wyndham's corruption.

I mean, anyone who spends thousands of dollars on a timeshare ownership and just let's some corporate criminals take it away is one of four things: 1- very rich, 2- scared, 3- getting kickbacks, or 4- an idiot. I'm obviously not rich, or I wouldn't be writing this; I'm not scared of rich assholes in ties; and if I were getting kickbacks, I obviously wouldn't be doing this website; and if I were an idiot, I'd be working for Wyndham and would be contractually forbidden from doing something like this. So, that means that I have lost a lot of money to this company and should do something to protect my interests.

So, tonight I'm going to start using non-passive activism against this corrupt company, by talking about the guy at the top, Stephen Holmes, the CEO of Wyndham Worldwide. He used to make a lot of money, but Forbes says his pay has dropped quite a bit in the last two years. Well, of course, Steve has had personal issues on his mind and has not been able to waste his effort trying to save a company in the failing travel-industry. Consequently, during a poor economy (travel commodities dropped nearly 50%, he was able to BEAT that record. He led Wyndham's stock from nearly $40 a share down to $3 a share!!! What a focused and brilliant leader!!!

So, what does a CEO of a Fortune 500 company do when he has led a proud and successful company to the absolute bottom of the barrel? What else? STEAL! All of Steve's subordinate CEOs gave him counsel on how he could steal from their customers. The most convincing on his staff of butt-kissers was Franz Hanning, the CEO of the Wyndham Worldwide subsidiary, Wyndham Vacation Ownership. Franz took credit for the development of the FairShare Plus Program in 1991. In reality, he just inherited this from the very tired former founder of the brilliant Fairfield brand. Franz was just a salesman at the time the FairShare Plus Program was created. But, the best thing for an up-and-coming "pretty boy" executive to do is claim credit for everything someone else does around them (if successful) and pass blame for everything that's not successful.

S0, Franz explained to Steve that the FairShare Plus Program was built to save. Steve had him explain what this meant. Franz said the FairShare Plus Program was riddled with so many loopholes they could knit a quilt big enough for both of them crawl under together and stay warm in Parsippany, NJ. Steve was quite desperate by this point, so he told Franz to go ahead and screw as many owners as possible and get everything they can from them. He promised Franz a "promotion" to New Jersey and bigger bonuses after they completely destroyed the company and put it in bankruptcy. Well, I think it's about time to start packing, Franz, you have been highly successful at making your boss look good (he doubled the stock and brought it upt o $6 per share), while simultaneously DESTROYING the FairShare Plus Program beyond all recognition.

Don't worry Franz, Steve will let you fly in the Wyndham jet....so no worries. Why would you have loyalty to the 360,000 owners who trusted your leadership? Don't worry, this is capitalism, it's ok for you to destroy these owners who trusted you - that is how the strong survive. Enjoy your success, Franz. Isn't it good to be the king? (…until there's a coup, King Franz!)

Before I continue on, I must caveat that I have no personal evidence of what I'm alleging. It is simply one possible scenario (that personally makes sense to me) for what Steve and Franz have done to this company and our ownership. Since they don't share the real facts through open disclosure (this is not an opinion) I can't draw an unbiased conclusion. So, I want to make it clear now that I have the journalistic, First Amendment right to share my opinions about these crooks. They are welcome to send an email with further factual information if they can disprove my opinion.

Anyway, with the 2nd quarter earnings last year, both Steve and Franz realized they might lose millions of dollars in performance bonuses if they didn't take action quickly. So they sold their souls to the devil. They systematically took away all benefits from the 360,000 owners of the FairShare Plus Trust. In addition to stripping them of their benefits, they implemented 100-500% fee increases on EVERYTHING. What a great plan, even though they are using the current FairShare Plus Plan Manager, Deanne Gabel, as their fall guy. She will be fired under mysterious circumstances before mid-2009, then Franz will hint and suggest that she was responsible for the destruction of the FairShare Plus Trust. Knowing these guys, they might even try to put her in jail and call her a crook. Why would they care, as long as they can still fly their jets and live the American Dream (reserved for less than 1% of Americans). They will never be held accountable for their criminal acts, especially when hundreds of owners have proven that they are taking from the owners and using their inventory and ownership to bolster their corporate endeavors in rentals, through Extra Holidays.

On November 19, 2008, Steve made an appearance at geek-fest "PhoCusWright 2008". He revealed his desperate plan to reverse the company's losses by stealing from the timeshare owners. Check out the following press release, where he admits this will be where the company makes up for their losses due to the slowing economy:



Below is another example of Steve's flagrant displays of stealing from the FairShare Plus owners. He is a little more shrouded here. He mentions that Wyndham Worldwide expects growth from their rental side. Of course they do, they take 100% of owner's inventory at 30 days (90% at 60 days) from the FairShare Plus Program, without paying for it, and give it to their rental wing, Extra Holidays. Of course they are going to expect growth, when they have appointed their own Board of Directors to this non-profit corporation and instructed them to divert all owner's benefits to the profit corporation (Wyndham). My favorite part of this video, is where Steve talks about brand loyalty. It's so cute how he says, "let the loyalty come to you". Seriously, either he's DUMB as a rock, or has no morals at all. See for yourself - check out this video where Steve shares his plans:




In this video, Steve is trying to be honest - he explains that "timeshares sell very well during good and hard times". Yes, this is true, but only on the resale market, where timeshares sell for pennies on the developer's dollar! I hope you haven't been lying to any prospects though Steve. Have you even checked the THOUSANDS of sales scam allegations your employees have out there? Of course you have, these people probably got the highest bonuses! Check out this video while this crook smoothly lies to another reporter:



Sweet dreams......

32 comments:

  1. It's nice to see more people creating websites and spreading the word about what Wyndham's doing. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TO GET LOAN @ 2% INTEREST RATE with victoriafinancier@outlook.com

      IF you are looking for a loan amount, contact Victoria Financier Trust Company ( victoriafinancier@outlook.com ). She help me with funds urgently when i was desperate in need of money to payoff my debt, medical expenses and more funds assistance to pay our mortgage and refinance my business. I read about Victoria Financier on how she helped people. When i contacted and explain my situation to her, she respond within a short time and help my family. She is great. her good work is visible. We should all appreciate her. Contact her now with VIA EMAIL: victoriafinancier@outlook.com

      *Full Name:_________

      *Address:_________

      *Tell:_________

      *loan amount:_________

      *Loan duration:_________

      *Country:_________

      *Purpose of loan:_________

      *Monthly Income:__________

      *Occupation__________

      *Next of kin:_________

      *Email :_________

      Delete
    2. Celebrate this Christmas season with joy and gladness in your heart...

      I would like to bring this to the notice of the public about how i met Funding Circle Loan PLC after i lost my job and been denied loan by my bank and other financial institution due to my credit score. I could not pay my children's fees. I was behind on bills, about to be thrown out of the house due to my inability to pay my rent, It was during this period my kids were taken from me by foster care. Then i set out to seek for funds online where i lost $3,670 that i borrowed from friends which i was rip off by two companies. Until i was referred to Funding Circle Plc by a very good friend, so if truly you are in need of a loan i advise you contact this Godsent lender via Email: fundingcapitalplc@gmail.com OR Call/Text +14067326622 and be free from scam' Jennie Cortez by name from United State


      Delete
    3. BEST AVAILABLE WAY TO FINANCIAL FREEDOM {upstoxfunding@yahoo.com}
      Are you looking for financial freedom? Are you in debt, you need a loan to start a new business? Or you collapse financially, do you need a loan to buy a car or a house? Have you ever been rejected by your bank in ever finance? You want to improve your financial? You need a loan to pay off your bills pay off? No more looking, we welcome you for an opportunity to get all types of loans at a very affordable 3% interest rate for others. For information, contact us now by email at: {upstoxfunding@yahoo.com}

      Do you have a bad credit? Do you need money to pay bills? Is it necessary to start a new business? Do you have an unfinished project due to poor funding? Do you need money to invest in any specialty that will benefit you? And you do not know what to do. We offer the following loans;both Personal loans [secure and unsecured], Business loans [secure and unsecured] ,combination loans ,Student loans,Consolidation loans and so many others.

      Company name: UPSTOX FUNDING
      Company Email: upstoxfunding@yahoo.com
      Text/Call :(302) 273-5794.

      Delete
  2. Hi Laura - thanks for dropping in. I don't have much important to say here, but I say a lot of it. If you have any particular topic you want me to blog about, let me know. As you can probably tell I'm running out of coherent things to write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do I know you from any forums/groups by chance? I've posted a LOT of things on there, so I'd be happy to shoot over a nice long list of great (or what I think to be great) points made about Wyndham and all of the changes. BTW - I posted a link to your blog on the Facebook "Unhappy Wyndham Owners" page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not recognize the name Laura. If you want to email me a list of points abou Wyndham, I would consider using it for discussion material. Thanks for the Facebook link. I'm not a member, so if they have any hot news, let me know. Meanwhile, want to buy my timeshares?

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL....I don't think we'll be purchasing any timeshares until Wyndham reverses the changes they've made. What's funny - we were actually thinking about making another big purchase from Wyndham until all of this happened. Who knows how much "repeat" business they lost because of all this! I'll send over my list in a little bit. You may want to think about adding a link on your blog: www.wyndsham.com. This is a GREAT site that describes everything Wyndham is doing, and what you (and ALL owners) can do to fight them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There was a class action suit against RCI last year...they were suppossed to rebate dollars(miniscule)for this same reason. I believe it was in the Federal District of NJ/of course the attorneys made money. I thought there was going to be an improvement in RCI's crappola, but I recently picked a specific time and place and I had bought into the premium time zone/the 26th week of ea.year for premium dollars. I should be able to trade any time of year but with each year of no notification at all of increased maintenance fees, I call to complain & ask for the documentation that by law in TX is one of the only protections on interval ownership. Also some of the things RCI is doing to build capital like trading for a cruise, flight benefits, etc that have nothing to do with real property/in our case interval timeshares...are contrary to IRS rules for real property..not sure about how this is treated. Then the exchange rate for us went up to $189. and guest exchange topped a high as well. I joined for 5 years at a time and should be price protected by any other rule of thumb..but RCI doesn't let you see their terms and conditions from when we joined over 25 years ago and watched how the business changed. We had a vacation exchange year before last in New Orleans, we had the written confirmation almost 6 mos. in advance & when I called from DFW, TX to get the exterior gate code & asked where do I get my room key they said the units in the French Qtr. did not have keys, remained open. I canx'd that and told RCI they were going to change my accommodations at no expense to me and of course they would not go out of their way to accommodate us, and we had to totally change our location at the last minute, etc & then be put up in crackerbox sized unit instead of the full one BR with all amenities we were suppossed to receive. I sold real estate for the company and they have their fingers in the all the agents pies too. They are Realogy now and still have a relocation dept., so be careful if your job wants to relo you that is if you want to take your chances at getting burnt again-they'll tell you anything, knowing it's an untruth. Just ask a real estate agent not the teletubbies working in relo and on affinity programs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do not do class action, it pays less!! If all the disgruntled ripped off owners all hire lawyers to go after them and make them have the stipulation to have Wyndham pay the fees it will get better results!!!! I was once in a class action lawsuit with GM and spent $11.00 to overnight some info. When it was all said and done all I received was an $11.00 settlement. Later I was told you get more money for everyone hiring lawyers independently and filing multiple lawsuits!!!! Good luck everyone.

      Delete
  7. Wyndham scammed us into doing a trade by telling us that our maintenance fees were going up to $300/month without the trade. They have signs all over their lobby saying they are one of the most ethical companies in the US for 2012. They are CROOKS! Now we are going to have to find some money for a lawyer. We can't afford that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Been a while since anyone has posted anything here, I can tell you, I am still a VERY UNHAPPY Camper !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you know why Wyndham will not buy back our points, why is it when we book a vacation they call us at the room ASAP and high pressure you for a "free lunch" but wait it's a "membership update", no it's really another hard sell you on a membership upgrade, is the bait & switch illegal. We have been told that Wyndham will buy back our points if we upgrade so why won't they buy it back if we do not upgrade? This is just a few problems we have had, and are extremely disappointed with Wyndham would never recommend them to anyone ever, perhaps we need to contact John Stossel about all the problems. Anyone interested in a class action suit?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just upgraded to Wyndham access following a sales pitch that included numerous lies...for example, you will pay less than you pay now,,your maintenance fees will not rise by as much of a percentage..charges were put on a credit card and was told that rewards would take care of, not so..your heirs don't have to keep it if they dont want to... Can t just refuse to pay this and let the chips fall where they may. Hope someone will comment....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been talking to some of the Wyndham's upper management. Everyone is correct they don't give a damn about their owners. This company is corrupt from top to bottom. It is amazing how they defend their actions of ripping off the owners, they act as it were no big deal. I don't know how they have managed to pull this off without being prosecuted.
    !!! DON’T BUY WYNDHAM OR RCI !!! They are crooks !
    If there is a class action law suit in progress please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are coming to Cayman and will be rebranding the Reef with those Thompson slave drivers, god have mercy on all those timeshare owners at the Reef.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just don't pay them back!!..they'll leave you alone eventually and your finished with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i dont know how they havent been sued yet. They told me when i purchased in 2011 that they would not be raising the points it takes to reserve a vacation. when i looked in 2012 what happened? The points went up. So when i bought 500,000 points you could book 2-3 weeks of vacations now your lucky to book 1-2

    ReplyDelete
  15. The maint. fees of the timeshare that I own, keep rising each year, are due to the timeshare owners that are fed up & have STOPPED PAYING THEIR MAINT. DUES. I've recently discovered, upon requesting the complete budget & financials for 2015, that the timeshare company is including these defaulted fees on the EXPENSE side of the budget. Thus, those owners that are paying their maint. fees in order to take a vacation, are also paying for those that will NOT be going on vacation this year. Their debt, is therefore placed upon the shoulders of those owners that are paying maint. fees each year. I recently spoke with an officer with our timeshare and her reply to my accusations was, "it's pretty CRUMMY, but that's the way it is. I think its time for people to complain to the State Dept. of Consumer Affairs. Dept. of Real Estate, take some action, as I have done, rather than complain about the way things are, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
    BTW- I just learned thru research, that CEO Stephen P. Holmes, Wyndham Worldwide Corp (they have off shore accounts too), in 2014, received $14,111,891 compensation. Other executives averaged $3-5,000,000 in annual salary, stocks, benefits, etc.
    This should make everyone's BLOOD BOIL!!! Go out and take action!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I went on vacation september 9,2014 and ended up signing contract that I knew nothing about except all the promises I was told at signing. I have never been able to book a room anywhere, I have 300,000 points and they say I have not enough. WHAT!!!! When I signed the contract they said I'd have enough to go to Australia, Virginia, and Florida. Untruth!!!! Now when I call them they say my points are only good till March of this year 2016 and I have the contract I signed which states they are good till March of 2017. Plus I am a senior and only make 1100 a month on social security and when the represenitive filled in the contract she said they never look at what you make, just so I have good credit. They have destroyed my credit and sent it to collections for 1 month late. I don't know how to resolve the deceiving practice of selling something and it is not there. If I had money I would do a class action suit against Wyndham for misrepresentation and coercion for 5 hours till I was broke down. We need help

    ReplyDelete
  17. The now-head crook (Franz Hanning) only made $5.2 million last year. Poor guy! There have been successful lawsuits against Wyndham, most recently by the South Tower Owners at Daytona Beach Oceanwalk. Don't know the particulars, but also heard that something similar (to do with diverted profits/owner points/financial hanky-panky) will be filed from the North Tower Owners at Oceanwalk.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I worked for Wyndham for years and the practices were deplorable.
    As Inoted employee, I was forced to work of the clock to close sales for people there for hours on end. It truly ruined how I view this business I once made a career from

    ReplyDelete
  19. Idiots. I worked for Wyndham for many years (not in Sales, in owner care, maintenance and housekeeping at various locations across the country). I watched all of you morons listen to these slick sales people and sign your lives away and then complain about it like a bunch of babies. Sleep in the bed you made. No one forced you to sign anything, and everything your complaining about is in your contract and in the owner's manual. Wouldn't you think you should read the contract before you spend $15000+? If you had, you would have seen that maybe it wasn't as amazing as the sales person said, and then you could have rescinded the whole arrangement. It's amazing that so many people can blame everyone else for their own stupid mistakes. Do you ever wonder why they don't get sued? Because it's not illegal and the contracts are airtight. Everything you hate about it has your initials beside it and your signature underneath it. This is just another instance of people buying things that they don't need, don't understand, and can't afford. Good job everybody and I hope you enjoy your two day vacation in Branson.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well Anonymous, I expect you are correct in that so many of us are trusting souls and believe what we are told and we signed on the dotted line. Wyndham appears to have a good name until you read these blogs. How could they remain in business this long if what they are doing is illegal. Yes, I am rather new with Wyndham but have been very happy so far. There are good and bad sales persons everywhere. Guess time will tell whether my decision was a good one. Best to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Everyone that needs help please contact me. 704-800-6742
    I worked for Wyndham, but now I work on the other side of the table and help people get out of their contracts! Their sales practices are disgusting! If anyone from Canada especially, reads this post please contact me before the dollar gets even worse.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is sad and shameful Wyndham ignores its mistakes and hopes owners do not notice enough to demand improvements from the new online system to the phony Owner Associations at Resorts that assess maintenance fee increases.

    ReplyDelete
  23. TO GET LOAN @ 2% INTEREST RATE with victoriafinancier@outlook.com

    IF you are looking for a loan amount, contact Victoria Financier Trust Company ( victoriafinancier@outlook.com ). She help me with funds urgently when i was desperate in need of money to payoff my debt, medical expenses and more funds assistance to pay our mortgage and refinance my business. I read about Victoria Financier on how she helped people. When i contacted and explain my situation to her, she respond within a short time and help my family. She is great. her good work is visible. We should all appreciate her. Contact her now with VIA EMAIL: victoriafinancier@outlook.com

    *Full Name:_________

    *Address:_________

    *Tell:_________

    *loan amount:_________

    *Loan duration:_________

    *Country:_________

    *Purpose of loan:_________

    *Monthly Income:__________

    *Occupation__________

    *Next of kin:_________

    *Email :_________

    ReplyDelete
  24. We fortunately freed ourselves from Wyndham through bankruptcy in 2015, but would have kept out contract. We only owed $24 K out of a $125K contract. We tried everything to get them to agree to a payment plan we could afford. Finally days before the bankruptcy would be final, their last ditch offer was to PURCHASE MORE POINTS, thereby lowering our $1000 payment by $50 and extending our terms to 10 years. We only owed 2 more years. LOL HA STUPID OFFER. So a year later they send a letter asking us to "release" our shares...huh? Our lawyer said just sign and be done with them.
    I just received a 1099 for "Acquisition of abandoned property" for the year AFTER the bankruptcy with a Fair Market Value of $125k, balance outstanding $29...I'm supposed to pay takes on the equity they assumed and will resale????!!!!! How crooked is that???
    What real estate agent assessed that FMV - one in their back pocket. Obviously these are "resale" shares, but Wyndham is selling them so they will be inflated. How is this right?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wyndham timeshare is a SCAM. Someone needs to file a lawsuit. I have inside information if anyone needs help.

    ReplyDelete